Monday 15 September 2014

Invictus Games 2014



INVICTUS
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul. 
William Ernest Henley

Last year Prince Harry visited Colorado for the Warrior Games. The Games gave him the idea to bring a similar idea to London and the Invictus Games were born.

The Invictus Games brings together injured and sick service personnel - current and veteran - from 14 countries whose Armed Forces have served together. The Games use the power of sport to support recovery, rehabilitation and spread awareness throughout the wider community about what our servicemen and women go through in serving their country.

The Games ran from 10 - 14 September and sports included Athletics, Archery, Swimming, Sitting Volleyball, Wheelchair Basketball, Wheelchair Rugby, Indoor Rowing, Road Cycling and Powerlifting. 




On Saturday I went to the last session of Wheelchair Basketball. There were 6 teams participating: Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, USA, France and Denmark.

The first game was to determine 5th and 6th place between Australia and New Zealand. 
Followed by France v Denmark, then UK v USA. 

The confidence that the players displayed was amazing. Whenever anyone took a fall they would get straight back up and continued playing. 

Everybody played really well and the final scoreboard looked like:

6. Australia
5. New Zealand
4. France
3. Denmark
2. USA
1. United Kingdom



No comments:

Post a Comment